The need for the IRMII course and qualification has been recognised within the industry and thus has been developed by the main players in the field of coatings. Several international courses have been successfully run and the number of qualified, accredited International Registered Marine Insulation Inspectors is expected to grow.
The IRMII course is specific to subsea thermal insulation and specific to the thermal insulation of flow lines and field joint coating. Not only does it deal with subsea thermal insulation, but also pipeline coating in a level of detail that has never been covered in any previous course by any award body. It is in excess of any awarding body qualifications at level 2, and has now been accepted in to operators specifications such as BP, Talisman and Woodside.
To become a qualified and fully recognised International Registered Marine Insulation IRMII Inspector you need to take the five day course, sit and pass the examination.
By the end of the course candidates will achieve the IRMII inspector qualification and will, with respect to pipeline coating, be able to:
• Understand the differences between generic types of thermal insulation and the relevant application methods;
• Understand inspection and test plan requirements;
• Effectively inspect surface preparation, tool/mould setup and application of different types of wet and dry thermal insulation systems;
• Complete surveillance and monitoring during thermal insulation application;
• Provide accurate and timely reporting to clients
Upon successful completion of the examination, you will be awarded the IRMII inspector qualification valid for five years, a valuable career enhancement accredited through the International Institute of Marine Surveying.
Over the duration of the week long course you will learn about and be taught:
• Introduction to reasons for insulation and background on failures
• Hydrates or wax in pipelines
• Wet or Dry Insulation and alternatives e.g. Inhibitors and Direct Electric Heating (DEH)
• Refresher of basic corrosion
• Insulation material types
• Pipeline coatings plants and processes: Fusion Bonded Epoxy (FBE), 3 Layer extruded polypropylene and polyethylene, moulded thermoset and thermoplastic insulation, extruded thermoplastic insulation, Concrete Weight Coating (CWC)
• Material Selection
• Inspection Duties and Requirements
• Surface Preparation, Inspection and Testing
• Insulation Inspection and Testing
• Field Joint Coating
We would express our appreciation to the following companies for their time, effort, advice, guidance and utmost dedication. Those involved include:
• Advanced Insulation Systems • BrederoShaw • Heerema • Heriot Watt University • Technip • Trelleborg • WGIM • Elcometer instruments
The course content is overseen by a steering group comprised of representatives of each of the above organisations, who are recognised as industry experts in their own right.
For further information about the IRMII Inspector qualification and course details please email.